Men visiting at the Moment.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Masculine Faith: Climbing Mountains to Waterfalls.

Submitted by:  Phlip Volschenk
I went to this magnificent game reserve, Malolotja National Park in Swaziland.
Liesl and her mom



I, Liesl and her mom (68yo) decided to go on a hike to see some waterfalls.
We had to drive on a very bad road with my car, about 3 km that are not more than 15 cm ground clearance on a 4x4 trail.

The Spring
We got there without damage, although I had to go very very slow.
We went spinning uphill and ABS breaking downhill, in my trusty VW , to the lookout point, at some stage we doubt and Liesl and her mom asked me to go back. Finally an hour later we got to the vantage point.
Where we started with the trail and descended down the first mountain.
I saw in the valley some long grass and some tree-ferns and trees and I was commenting that there is some spring feeding it.
Sure as hell under some tree were a place where the water came from the ground running out of some rocks to form a stream.
By the time we got there the first bottle of water were finished.
The path continued to Second Mountain that was steep but doable.
Drinking water from the spring
The path were still wide but one could see it were getting narrower as one moved on.
Cooling off
When we got to the top my mom in law said she is going to stay behind. By this time we were all the way out in nature and decided to take a break. I then realised how quite it were. I appreciated the world around me, the mountains, the total quietness and felt myself moving inside myself.
I and Liesl went forth, because I want to see the waterfall and with my mom in law staying behind I could go skinny dipping!
So we descended the second mountain
Half way down the road turned to another mountain
There were barely place for ones feet to walk.
There was a sheer edge with a few trees at the bottom, if one would fall here you would slide and slam into trees I realised. The danger became a reality for me at this stage. We had to move on and the next part of the trail were very narrow and steep with some lose rocks, we had to climb the next mountain.
On top Liesl said she cannot go further, but I saw the river and thought to myself
My wife gave up
The waterfall cannot be that far.
The trail ware getting narrower
One could see only the best hikers can go further, this is a activity that separate the men from the boys.
The trail became very so steep; I had to use my arms and legs to go downhill. Then I slipped but fortunately regained my footing after about 5 meters of sliding, on another random rock out of place, like it were there just for me and got back on the trail.
The next steep hills on the mountain were in front of me. At this stage I could hear the waterfall
I had to climb it like a monkey arms and legs, making sure of each step checking that the rocks are not lose
Then descended down to a more flat plain where the stream was of the waterfall.

The waterfalls itself were basically a mountain stream going into a abyss cliff like with sheer edges. I wanted to take a good picture of it so I got closer and closer, so that I was standing on the edge taking the picture.

And sure as hell I got it!!!!! And it were beautiful, I even took a video Just then I was looking around me as I was looking at my feet, the rocks under it, and the abyss the whole time. I saw that I was standing on a sheer cliff bout 100 meters high. I never ever had fear of heights ever but somehow I got overwhelmed and light headed and my surroundings didn’t look as if you want to “take it all in” at that time because i didn’t feel so safe.

I knew that if I lose my footing at any stage. I will be a news article only
“Missing Hikers body were never found” it would read
Finally I got to the top again and went to a small pool and swam naked alone
It were amazing




The Metaphor
As I was doing this I was thinking life is the same way especially masculinity some would start with you but as the next and the next mountain come the next after the other will have difficulty those that can help do help
but it is all about your perspective on life that are going to determine if you get to the waterfall or not.
If you look at the mountain from the bottom and, it is huge overwhelming but the thing is that you should focus on your steps, each one
not to slip
Not to fall
And not to focus on the goal to get to the top, but on the steps you take. Do it at a comfortable pace, not to get entirely out of breath. Stop from time to time to take in the beauty, regain some breath, drink some water, but realize that if you stand still on one place for too long your muscles will get stiff. You will know when you are on the top of a mountain, but know this there are a trail going down as well and it might not be easy. Then as you think "this is it" I am close the path goes further, then you start to see that the road gets more difficult, don’t lose faith in yourself, the map other people drawn or your equipment.
Now you should be able to, or can sense the reward cool water going over a rock face and the wind is blowing op spray on your face. You know that you are almost there, be extra careful, the rocks that you need might be slippery
Sometimes you might slip, but have faith for a rock to get you back on the road, or a buddy as strong as you to get you back on the trail.
Finally you will reach the reward, but the real challenge on what to do with it is still an issue, because it is more than you expected
Then you realise if it wasn’t for every focussed step I took so carefully, for every danger I overcame, I wouldn’t have got here, If I was looking for hope I wouldn’t have got it and even if I did the mountain still had to be claimed anyway.
Now you can enjoy, drink and dive naked into a pool of cool mountain water of the stream of life. Make it part of yourself, but realise this, you cannot stay forever, this is a learning curve you have to get back on the rail climb back, hike to collect those that stayed behind, share part of the beauty with them in your pictures and stories. One thing is for sure, the mountain, its spring water, and the cool air you breathed became part of you, not those that stayed behind. They have to experience it for themselves.
Focus on the journey, on being in the now and here, not the end or the goal, you might slip and fall over your own ego.

Waterfall from top
Some game in the park
Magnificent views of the mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment